Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Interview with an Expert (Blog 4)

This is my interview with Jeff Lohan. He is a close friend of my family. My parents have known him for a long time and always go to see him play at his gigs. He has even played at some of our parties. He has published an album (my dad happened to take the picture for the cover) that I have started listening to it. I actually really like it and I am really inspired by how good he is and how he puts his life story into his music. 

Image result for jeff lohan cover
^His Cover

Anyway here is the interview. Hope you enjoy!

What is the process you took?
Lucky for me my parents recognized that I was interested in the guitar. I started playing when I was 9 years old. My parents also got me involved in our church folk group. This turned into playing with middle school and high school rock bands with friends that played for schools dances and CYO dances, then after a 5 year hiatus, I started to really follow my own path and have been lucky to have had people that have wanted to listen and play with me over the years.  I was never afraid of standing on my own, or running without the crowd.I really never looked at playing as a competition, I only ever competed with myself. 

What interests you musically?
Mostly rhythm guitar.  Recently my vocal control.  Writing and recording is now a growing interest.
Rock, folk, country, music with a good message or a feeling I can relate to and want to share.

What made/inspired/motivated you to play guitar? 
I think a big part of my original inspiration was a cousin of my mom's that would play her guitar at family vacations and holidays.  I've been lucky to have had a close experience with the guitar starting just after I was born.
Mary Ursula has given me that same guitar.  She bought it the year I was born. 1961
The way my youngest daughter writes has also been a huge inspiration for me to write.

What made you want to play professionally?
My parents were always supportive.
Friends have push me along from very early on. It seems a lot of people saw something in me that I had a hard time seeing.  And it's very validating to get paid for something you love to do so much.  At this point in time I don't see me ever stopping.

Was there a guitarist you looked up to? Why?
Carlos Santana - I always felt like he was talking through his guitar.
The Eagles - good feeling music with no particular leader of the band. they have always felt like they were just 5 guys just helping each other out.
James Taylor - his ability to connect with an audience with just him and the guitar.

What were some of the challenges you went through to get where you are?
Realizing that I was not as good as I thought I was at times, and also being better than I thought I was at times.  Learning that my perception of my playing is different than the people in the audience. It is easy to be hyper critical of my performances, but I have to understand that the listener is listening to my playing of a song and having their own experience from their prospective, not mine.

What held you back the most? 
Myself.  I justify it in many real and not so real ways.
I am very happy with where I am at this point in time as a performer and as an artist.  My journey has helped make me who I am today.  I feel I'm ready for whatever is next, and hope that I recognize it when and if something happens.

What is the best thing about playing guitar?
It is a great escape.  Even when I'm playing to a crowd, I am really only playing for myself, I am in my own world.  
it can take you places you never thought you could go.  
When someone you don't know tells you how your music makes them feel, it is a great experience.  When someone asks who wrote the song you just played, and you get to say that you wrote it.  I think the best highlight having my 16-year-old daughter play some of my gigs with me.  That is cool!!

What are some important things you had to do to get where you are?
Listen, work outside of my comfort zone, fail, get up and try again, succeed, fail, be willing to not accept average, to work at trying to be the best I can at that moment, and be willing to stand alone when necessary, how to share and supportive with others.  Learning to recognize what needs to be worked on and also hold on to and recognize the beautiful moments that happen. 
Because of my guitar, I meet your parents, and you.  That would have never happened if I hadn't been following my very mysterious path.  And your dad wasn't following his.

What are some tips/what can help me?
Follow your heart, you want to learn from everyone you can, and then use that information in your own individual way. Everyone started out copying someone else.  No one becomes known for coping, the trick is learning how to be yourself.


This interview was really interesting for me to read. I learned a lot about him that I never knew. When I read how happy it made it when his daughter played with him I realized why my dad wants me to play. I was really shocked when I saw that he meet my parents when playing the guitar. It made me realize, even more than I already have, how much music bring people together. I love that music can create friendships and connections with people you never would have meet before. I also love how a song can become associated with a memory or time in your life and when you hear it you have a flashback to that memory. Music is just so amazing and I don't know why I ever stopped playing.

Image result for music crowd gif

^ Link to Jeff's songs


~Stay Tuned~

5 comments:

  1. I think that this interview was very well done! It gives some perspective on, not only what it takes to be a guitarist, but really any kind of musician. I learned a lot abut music from this interview that I didn't have knowledge of before. I never realized how closely memories and friends and family can be associated with some song you hear on the radio. I think this could be a very cool direction to take you TED talk in as well. You could talk about memories due to music and connection based on music and how that relates to the brain. Just a suggestion. But anyway, this looks really good so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think it would be a good topic for he TED talk as well and was thinking about going in that direction.

      Delete
  2. I was actually digging this interview. It was super detailed and actually interesting. The emotional takes on his songs seem really cool - you should do a duet with him!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This interview is super insightful! Its awesome that you have access to an expert like that. Keep up the good work... I agree with Michael Licata, this would be an interesting direction to go in for the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the questions you asked your expert. You got really in depth and it was clear you learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete